Linda and Robert Alvarado originally came to Denver to start a construction business, providing a full range of commercial development and construction management services. In 1986, the two were planning the build of a commercial site in downtown Denver, and needed an anchor to help drive traffic. After every major fast food chain deemed the location undesirable, Taco Bell came back with a challenge: “If you think this is such a great location, why don’t you become a franchisee and build one!” They were given a license to franchise one location, and 36 years later, Alvarado Restaurant Nation now owns and operates over 200 Taco Bell and KFC locations. Linda and Robert’s son, Rob, now oversees Alvarado Restaurant Nation — bringing a fresh eye towards growth and development, all while maintaining the same family feel.
The People Behind The Name
Chief Executive Officer
Our ownership partners are actively involved in the day-to-day business operations of the company. Rob Alvarado in his role as CEO of the Company, continues to hold leadership positions to support and steward the Taco Bell brand as a Board Member of the franchise administration counsel “FRANMAC”; over the years Rob has served as:
- Chairman of the finance and development
- Board Member of the Restaurant Supply Chain
- Franchise advisor on the Restaurant Margin Improvement Committee (RMI)
- President of the Taco Bell DMA Marketing Associations
Robert Alvarado, Founder and Chairman has been a long time advocate for minority businesses, receiving honors such as:
- CEO of the year by Denver Business Journal
- Martin Luther King Civil Rights Award Winner for Minority Business Advocacy
- NAACP Champion for Change Award Winner
Led by Linda Alvarado, the family also owns a construction company founded in 1977. Linda has earned recognition on a local and national level as a trailblazer for Women and Hispanics in business. In 1993, Linda became the first Hispanic, and second woman, to be an owner of a Major League Baseball team when Colorado was awarded with Colorado Rockies Major League franchise. Linda has served on many corporate and Fortune 500 Boards including and the Mayo Clinic. Furthermore, Linda has earned numerous awards and recognition including being named the two-time “Business Woman of the Year” by the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, the Revlon “Business Woman of the Year”, and the Denver Hispanic Chamber of Commerce “Business Woman of the Year”. Linda has also been inducted to both the Colorado and National Women’s Hall of Fame.
Over the years ARN is proud to have been honored and recognized by YUM Brands and Taco Bell for being Brand Stewards. Our contributions to the system resulted in receiving the following:
- Former YUM Brands Chairman David Novak’s “Walk the Talk” Award
- YUM Brands “Hard Hat” Award for leading the region in new unit development
- “Asset Innovator Award” presented by Taco Bell VP of Architecture & Design Deborah Brand
- The “Loraland Leadership” Award presented by Taco Bell CFO Mellissa Lora
- The “Más Heart” Award Presented by Taco Bell CEO Brian Niccol
- The “Purple Sauce Packet Award” presented by former Taco Bell and YUM Brands CEO Greg Creed
Leaders In Development
In addition, we continue to partner with the brand on new building design initiatives, including being the first franchise organization in the country to test and build:
- the Taco Bell value engineered Innovation Dining Room (Albuquerque, New Mexico)
- the Live Más Image New Build (Commerce City, Colorado),
- the Live Más Image Remodel (Aurora, Colorado)
- the Explorer Image New Build (Fort Morgan, Colorado), the Explorer Image Remodel (Dumont, Colorado & Torrance, California), and the Container Store (Downey, California).
1984: Our First Restaurant
First Taco Bell location opened in downtown Denver, CO.
1989: New Mexico
Acquire our first Taco Bell locations in New Mexico.
1993: Colorado Rockies
1998: California Dreaming
Acquire our first Taco Bell locations in California.